Louis Bank of Commerce Building
Original High Ceilings
Original Bank Teller Windows
Original Wood Floors
Exposed Brick Walls
Modern and Efficient Floor Plates
4,700 SF Per Floor of Creative Space
Combine 2 Floors for a Total of 9,400 SF
Combine 3 Floors for a Total of 14,100 SF
Abundance of Natural Light/Central Skylight
Private Elevator Access to All Floors
Well Located and Close To All Amenities
Louis Bank of Commerce, 1888. Punctuated by twin rising towers, San Diego’s first granite building is an excellent example of Baroque Revival architecture. The four-story structure housed the Bank of Commerce until 1893, when entrepreneur Isidor Louis opened an oyster bar which became a favorite of Wyatt Earp. The upper floors later became known as the Golden Poppy Hotel, a notorious brothel run by fortune-teller Madame Cora. Her ladies wore dresses colored to match the doors of their rooms.
According to Kenneth Cilch’s book, Wyatt Earp The Missing Years, Wyatt came to San Diego between 1885 and 1887 and could have remained here as late as 1896.He was an active businessman in addition to a gambler and was engaged in a variety of real estate ventures, capitalizing on the land boom in the mid 1880’s. Earp leased four saloons and gambling halls in San Diego, the most famous was his Oyster Bar located in the Louis Bank of Commerce on Fifth Avenue. He was listed as a capitalist (gambler) in the San Diego City Directory in 1887 and among his other winnings, he won a race horse.